Brand personality is insanely important. Competition is fierce and you have to stand out more than ever. We looked at loads of popular “brand personality” exercises out there, and honestly, we were a bit disappointed by how vague they were. (What the heck does being an “experimental” brand mean as a personality trait?) We designed this deck to take out the guesswork.
To play, round up a few team members. Separate the cards by color, placing them in separate piles. Then, sort the cards according to the instructions below, discussing your choices along the way.
- Pick ONE type of humor
- Pick FIVE tones that represent you / FIVE tones that are opposite of how you want to sound Pull out ONE-TWO tones for different times
- Pick TEN-FIFTEEN safe traits that describe who you are / any number of negatives that say who you are NOT
- Pick TEN-FIFTEEN polarizing traits that describe who you are / any number of negatives that say who you are NOT
Take a look at what you’ve chosen and ask:
- Why did you pick the cards that you did? Discuss your choices.
- Do they align and make sense together? (humor, tone, traits)
- Would your overall tone of voice align with your audience? Would they relate?
- Have you created a distinct tone of voice? Or are you playing it “safe”?
- Now, come up with some examples for each.